Monday, May 24, 2010

Mobile Phones: The One and Only?














Mobile phones have become a bit more than just phones which are mobile. In fact, there’s not much a mobile phone can’t do these days. Now you can watch a movie, surf the net, take a photo and listen to music on your mobile phone, and that’s just before we get into all the crazy things that mobile phone applications can do!

It is true. We could probably throw away our TVs, CD players and computers and still do most of what we want to do just on our phones. But would we want to? Would just the one mobile phone screen satisfy all our technological wants and needs?

I don’t think so. Even though the current technological trends are driving a smaller and smarter way of the future, I personally enjoy having a flatscreen TV, hooked up to my stereo system, both of which are capable of connecting to my laptop and phone if I wanted to. I appreciate the enhanced visual and audio experience I get when I watch movies and play video games on such a set up. In fact, it’s for this reason I assume movie theatres are still operating and very popular.

Society is increasingly adopting a fast-paced and convenience-based lifestyle, where demand for instant information is great. Mobile phones have done well to develop so as to complement this trend, and this is a factor that I admit I do appreciate. Even though I don’t have the latest and greatest, I do benefit from the ability to listen to music or read the news headlines when I’m on the go. I do believe in the value that mobile phones bring to society, and I support their continual development.



















Advances in technology help many people do business, keep themselves entertained, allow constant interaction with friends, give them the ability to organize their lives more efficiently etc. ‘Smart’ mobile phones are one of the key drivers and supporters of these activities, and keeping up to date with technology, especially that in smart phones, is very beneficial to what one can achieve in life. But on the flip side, a complete obsession and dependence on such technologies is not a healthy move; one which seems to be becoming more prominent in society today. Mobile phones and their developments cannot replace many things in life including other technologies. I will never give up my TV, not just because of the large screen and stereo sound, but also because I enjoy the time I spend sitting down watching it and relaxing. There are other values associated with technological products apart from their primary use and purpose. They have a great role to play in our lives, and will continue to into the future, but I don’t see the screen on our mobile phones becoming the one and only.


No comments:

Post a Comment